Hi, I’m Thijs Feryn.
I’ve been working in the webhosting industry since 2004. I consider myself a developer in an infrastructure environment which is a good thing these days.
I’m also a successful international speaker and this is the bio I often use:
Thijs Feryn is a technical evangelist at a Belgian webhosting company called Combell His goal is to bring technology to the people and people to technology. He focuses on bridging the gap between code and infrastructure. Thijs is also involved in many open source communities and leads the PHPBenelux community. He speaks, listens, writes, codes, teaches, organizes and is above all very excited about technology!
As you can see I’m a technical evangelist and advocating technology is not only my job, it’s also a passion of mine.
Here’s a list of things that are worth mentioning
- I’m a tech evangelist at Combell.
- I’ve been at Combell since 2004 where I started out as a Support Engineer
- Later on I became the manager of that team
- Eventually felt like reaching a wider audience and started evangelizing
- Combell is part of the Intelli.gent group so I work for all the brands in the holding
- I’m a community guy and I’ve been active in the PHP community since 2007
- I’m a board member at PHPBenelux and one of the organizers of the PHPBenelux conference.
- As a one-off I organized the Damn Data in 2013. A big data conference in Antwerpen. I might organize similar events in the future
- I’ve spoken at a lot of events and I keep track of future and past presentations. Including slides and video. I even have a website dedicated to it: http://talks.feryn.eu
- I have a video blog on Youtube where I interview interesting people in the tech industry.
- I also publish the audio of these interviews on SoundCloud. So I have a podcast as well.